Thursday, May 13, 2010

I Can Do Anything Better Than You

I have to start by saying that David and I are both really competitive. I don't know if it was the playing sports growing up or what, but we (ahem, usually I) make almost everything into a competition. It's usually all in good fun, but I finally realized that it might stem, at least on my part, from something deeper.

David is one of those people who is good at almost everything. He's always had perfect grades. It drove me absolutely crazy in high school. (Let's be honest, it still kind of does.) I would work my butt off on a paper, feel great about it, EDIT his paper for him, and then he'd get a better grade than me. He was even English Student of the Year our junior year even though he spent almost every class period playing a game, messing around, or talking - *K, I know it pained you to give it to him, but he did have the highest grade somehow..* He's a talented athlete and was captain of the soccer team our senior year. He got a full ride business scholarship at Wichita State, and he's worked 30+ hours/week as an accountant while in school full time. 

Uhhh... That's kind of hard to compete with. And the stress of finishing up my last couple finals and trying to find a 'real' job on top of graduation, moving, and oh yeah, the wedding led to me having a bit of a breakdown the other night. I feel like David excels in everything he does, and as hard as I try, I don't. I feel like I'm mediocre at almost everything. I sat there bawling my eyes out - I feel like crying has become a common theme here! - and David said one of the sweetest, truest things I've ever heard: 

He said, "YOU are the reason I'm able to be successful and do what I do. But it's not even what one of us does or accomplishes on our own. We're a team and everything we do is because of each other and for each other."

 And that is exactly what I needed to hear. Have I mentioned how excited I am to marry him? Whether or not everything gets done in the next 30 days, I will become a wife to my teammate, best friend, and better half which is really all that matters.

(Click to enlarge)

I love you, babe.

Has your fiance given you a similar wake-up call?

7 comments:

  1. AWWW you two are so cute! I'm tearing up over here...And you are too hard on yourself...you're awesome at what you do...and my bro even said this morning "That's really impressive Laura is graduating in 3 years!" One more final and 30 more days! Obviously I can't answer the question you posted but hopefully someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that is so sweet! And true, it's pretty much the same with me and Ryan. What a lovely thing for him to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! And he is so right too! Plus, I wouldn't call all this DIY you've been doing mediocre in the least!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, very sweet :) Yes, I love getting into serious talks about our future and how we complete eachother! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww this nearly made me cry! Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw that's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After 6 years of knowing David and seeing you together, I have to say you both are pretty impressive people. David's not perfect: he throws recycling items in the trash, he's always losing his keys,(phone, wallet,etc) he's not crafty AT All, and he could sleep through a tornado! (Sorry, David!) But we love him dearly and couldn't have picked a better husband for you. You compliment each other in almost every way and bring out the best in each other. I love what he said to you, and now BELIEVE IT! God brought you together for good!
    Love you,
    Momma

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...