I wish I would've taken more pictures documenting the process of making our unity candle, but hopefully I can still provide a decent tutorial for anyone interested! I started with a 2.8"x9" candle for the actual unity candle. I think it was around $3 from Michaels. I bought the vellum when scrapbooking paper was 50% off, so I think it was around $0.30. I designed the wording in Word and used fonts from Fonts for Peas. When I had the design, I printed it on a piece of 8.5"x11" vellum using my laser printer. I printed it in landscape so the paper would be wide enough to reach the whole way around the candle, but I made sure the text wasn't wider than about 3" so you could see all of it when looking at the candle. (I had to print it once on regular paper to make sure the design was the right size.)
After I printed it on the vellum, I trimmed it down to about 6" tall, and I cut a piece of damask scrapbooking paper to the same size. I put the damask paper behind it, and wrapped it around the candle and then secured it using pearl head pins. I love the look of the pins - It reminds me of buttons down the back of a wedding dress! Then I cut two pieces of pink ribbon and put them around the top and bottom of the paper and secured them with double stick tape.
The two side candles are 3"x6". I got them in a pack from Hobby Lobby for $4.99. I basically did the same thing, but I found a flourish design in the clip art folder in Word. I printed it, and then trimmed the paper to 6" tall so it would cover the entire candle. I used the same pins to secure the paper to the back.
Hopefully this helped a little bit! I've read that people have problems printing on vellum with an inkjet printer, but my laser printer worked wonderfully. If you have any questions, please let me know!